Effective Date: January 20, 2022
NielsenIQ Homescan Panels. For decades, NielsenIQ has set the standard for global market and consumer insight research. Our insights are based on representative samples of the population and help our clients (e.g., manufacturers, retailers, non-profits and governments) learn about what consumers watch, buy, their preferences and behaviours. Your participation in our panel helps us create our consumer insight solutions.
About NielsenIQ Homescan: NielsenIQ is a global information and measurement company with leading market positions in marketing and consumer information, television and other media measurement, online intelligence, mobile measurement, and related assets. The company has a presence in approximately 100 countries, with headquarters in New York, USA. For more information please visit www.NielsenIQ.com.
We take privacy very seriously. We have created this Privacy & Cookie Statement ("Statement") to help answer questions you may have about how we protect and use your information.
This Statement states that NielsenIQ Homescan has the express consent of each member of your household, including the parent or guardian of any minor in your household, to collect and use personal data about you and them (both adults and children) as described below, unless you contact us to advise us otherwise. Please be sure each member of your household reads this Statement carefully.
· Our privacy commitment
· What information we collect
· How we use the information you provide us
· When we share your information
· Your choices and access
· Cookies and other Internet technologies
· Third party sites
· Data security & transfer
· Data retention
· Termination for certain activities
· Rewards points maximum
· About children
· Updates to this Statement
· Contacting us
A. OUR PRIVACY COMMITMENT
We protect the identities of our participants. We will NOT use your personal data to advertise, promote, or market goods or services directly to you and we do not allow our clients to market directly to you.
"Personal data" means information that by itself - like your likeness, first and last name, home postal address or personal e-mail address - or in combination with other information, could identify a specific individual.
B. WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
· Information you give us. During the recruitment process, the panel registration process or as part of a research survey, you provide us with information about you and others in your household. This may include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address. You also provide us with demographic information such as gender, birthdate, marital status, occupation and other information. We may also (but may not) request more detailed demographic information such as race or ethnic group, religion, political views, and/or more detailed financial information including net asset value. Through your participation in our panels, we collect your behaviour and preference data. "Behaviour data" is when, why or how you do things such as how frequently you shop for groceries. "Preference data" means the choices you make such as which breakfast cereals you buy. If your household participates in a panel that involves healthcare information, we may collect certain health-related information about you and the members of your household, including healthcare services received, prescriptions and over-the-counter medications used, the conditions for which these medications are used, and other pharmacy products that you purchase or use. No personally identifiable information is tied to health-related information.
We may also administer surveys to some members. These surveys request additional market research information and help us better understand consumer behaviour, use, and trends. Your participation in a survey is always voluntary, and you therefore have a choice whether to provide the requested survey information.
· Information from your use of our scanners or software, Site and on the Internet. Depending upon the panel, information may be collected manually via scanners or automatically, and automatic data collection may not always be obvious to you. If your household participates in a panel that involves online or Internet or mobile device activity information, we may collect information about your activity on such devices, either directly or automatically through the use of software or cookies or web beacons or other technology.
If you download our application software onto your mobile device, we will receive data when you voluntarily activate hardware functions such as your camera. With your consent, we may also collect information about the location of your device once you download our application software onto your mobile device.
We may also automatically receive information about your system, device, network, and application software. This includes technical information, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, the type of browser you are using, the date and time of your visit, the web page you have visited immediately prior to visiting this Site, device identifier, device model, operating system, and language set. Cookies, pixel tags, web beacons, clear GIFs or other similar technologies may be used in connection with the Site. Please see Section F on Cookies for more information.
· Information we get from other sources.
We may combine the information from your household with these additional data. We will use it only for the purposes described in this Statement. By participating in this panel, you agree that we may obtain this information about you and combine it in this way.
C. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE US
·Information you provide during the recruitment process is used to determine eligibility for participation in one of our panels. After you join a panel, we use the information we collect to create a variety of research insights for our clients. We use tools and methods to make sure that there is no reasonable possibility of identifying an individual participant in the reports that we create for our clients. For example, we combine the responses we collect from you with the responses of others to produce "aggregated" reports. We also create scientific reports based upon modeled information. "Modeled information" is data we have developed based upon demographic and behavioural characteristics (like your gender, age, and purchasing habits) to predict what people with similar or matching characteristics would buy. This allows advertisers to identify the likely audience for a marketing campaign.
Our research insights help our clients make choices about where and how they advertise, including on print, broadcast television, radio, online and mobile. Among other things, our solutions have helped clients:
· We may use the information you give us to contact you. When we contact you - by phone, e-mail, text message, or postal mail depending on what information you provide to us - we will usually do so for one of the following reasons: to respond to your inquiries; to validate answers you gave; to update our records to ensure your information is correct; to ensure that the equipment is working properly; to send you important information regarding your participation such as how to redeem rewards; to provide notice regarding changes to our terms, conditions, and policies; to ensure compliance with terms of active panel membership; or to offer you expanded research opportunities through panels and surveys. For instance, if our service will be temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send you an e-mail. Generally, you may not opt-out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature. If you qualify for a sweepstakes, we may use the e-mail address that you have given us to send you a confirmation of your sweepstakes entry. We will use your contact information to let you know if you have won a sweepstakes. We may also send you push notifications through our software.
· We may also use the information for business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new products, enhancing our Site and software, improving our services, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of our communications.
If we combine non-personal data with personal data, the combined information will be treated by us as personal data as long as it is combined.
D. WHEN WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We employ third parties who provide services for us such as website or application hosting, data analysis, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery services, credit card processing, auditing services, reward, incentive, sweepstakes, and other similar services.
We work with other companies for the purposes of data processing or market research product development purposes. They are contractually required to keep that information confidential and are not permitted to use this information for any other purpose except to carry out the services that they are performing for us. In accordance with market research guidelines, we may also provide individual level information to other companies. If we do, they are bound to keep the information confidential and use it only for research or statistical purposes.
We may disclose your information to other members of the NielsenIQ Homescan family of companies for the purposes described in this Statement.
We will provide your information to a third party if the law requires it or if it allows us to exercise our legal rights or take action regarding potentially illegal activities, or to protect the safety or rights of any person or legal entity. If all or part of our company is sold, merged or otherwise transferred, we may transfer your information as part of that transaction and will take steps to ensure that your information is protected as described in this Statement.
E. YOUR CHOICES AND ACCESS
Participation in a NielsenIQ Homescan panel is always completely voluntary. If you participate in a NielsenIQ Homescan panel, you may review your contact information at any time by logging into the panel member website at www.homescan.ca. You may also contact us if at any time you would like to correct or update the information we hold about you or if you wish to withdraw your consent and stop your participation. Please see the "Contacting Us" section below.
F. COOKIES AND OTHER INTERNET TECHNOLOGIES
Cookies are small files that store certain data on a device or computer. We use both session and persistent cookies on our recruitment and panel member websites. Cookies, pixel tags, web beacons or similar technologies may be used on some of our website pages and HTML-formatted e-mail messages to, among other things, manage panels and to enhance your experience as a panelist. We may also use these technologies for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, and to better serve you with more tailored information, as well as for site administration purposes, e.g., to gather statistical information about the usage of our websites in order to continually improve the design and functionality, to understand how users use our websites, and to assist us with resolving questions regarding use of the websites.
Audience Measurement and Ad Effectiveness - Panel Members Only:
G. THIRD PARTY SITES
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site to which this Site contains a link. The inclusion of a link on the Site does not imply endorsement of the linked site by us or by our affiliates.
H. DATA SECURITY & TRANSFER
We may store and process personal data about you in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, including in the United States. The data protection laws of other countries may differ from those in your home country, but you may be assured that your information will be stored using administrative, managerial and technical measures to protect its confidentiality. Please remember that storage and communication of data cannot always be one-hundred percent secure.
By participating in this panel, you consent to the transfer of personal data to countries outside of your country of residence.
I. DATA RETENTION
We will retain your personal data for as long as long as needed for the purposes indicated in this Statement and in accordance with law.
J. TERMINATION FOR CERTAIN ACTIVITIES
NielsenIQ Homescan reviews information, materials, and activities regularly to ensure compliance with rules, regulations, NielsenIQ Homescan policies and terms, and the spirit of NielsenIQ Homescan. NielsenIQ Homescan reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or disqualify an account from NielsenIQ Homescan if it is determined, in its sole discretion, that an act or activity taken by you may be inconsistent with applicable laws, regulations, policies and terms, and/or the spirit of NielsenIQ Homescan. NielsenIQ Homescan reserves the right, in any such prospective suspension or termination, to nullify any and all rewards that your account may have accumulated through NielsenIQ Homescan, if it is so determined in each of their sole discretion.
K. REWARDS POINTS MAXIMUM
You may accrue and maintain up to 999,999 rewards points earned from engaging in certain activities, including transmission of shopping information and completing surveys. You may redeem reward points in exchange for certain products, gift cards, and other incentives. You will not be able to accrue any additional rewards points above the 999,999 rewards points maximum. As a result, NielsenIQ Homescan may recommend from time to time that panelists redeem some of their rewards points in exchange for items of value. This allows you to continue to accrue rewards points for certain activities and also reap the benefit of the value of such rewards points as provided and offered by NielsenIQ Homescan.
L. ABOUT CHILDREN
If we collect information about children, we take special care. Depending upon the panel or survey, the information we collect may include information about children, and with your consent we may communicate directly with children in the household to collect information from them. Parents or guardians may cancel their permission for their children's participation in our research at any time. All of the other provisions of this policy apply to information about both adults and children of every age.
M. UPDATES TO THIS STATEMENT
We may change this Privacy Statement. Please take a look at the "Effective Date" at the top of this page to see when this Privacy Statement was last revised. If we were to make a material change (the kind of change to the way we use your data that might make you reconsider participating in this panel) we will notify you at the most recent mailing address or e-mail address we have on file and we will provide you with access at least 30 calendar days prior to its implementation, giving you time to resign from the panel if you want. You may view the currently effective Privacy Statement at any time by checking the Privacy Statement posted on this Site. Your continued participation in our panel after the effective date of any changes will constitute your acceptance of all effective changes.
N. CONTACTING US
If you have questions or complaints regarding our privacy statement or practices, please contact the Panel Privacy Officer of NielsenIQ Homescan by e-mail at email@example.com or by telephone at 905-475-3344, ext. 2390. Also, you can contact us by mail at NielsenIQ Homescan, 160 McNabb Street, Markham, Ontario, L3R 4B8. Please note that online communications are not always secure; so please do not include sensitive information in your inquiry to us.
This Statement replaces any other statement, whether written or oral, made to you about our practices with respect to the collection and use of personal data.